EXCELLENCE TODAY, OPPORTUNITY TOMORROW
Dear Alta Vista Families,
Welcome to Alta Vista! We are excited to begin our first day of school with students attending in-person. In order for us to continue with in-person learning, we will have to adhere to the CDC guidelines as we navigate the ongoing pandemic. We are asking for your help in maintaining the following guidelines so that we may remain open. I know that reopening brings both excitement and apprehension. We have worked extremely hard to provide a safe environment for both our students and staff. All students, 6th and 7th grade, will return to school on Tuesday, August 10.
1. CDC COVID Guidelines: Students on campus must follow CDC guidelines. Appropriate masks (no gaiters, scarves, face shields, or bandanas) will be worn at all times except while eating/drinking and all students must maintain 3 feet of social distancing at all times.
2. Return to campus: On your first day students who have already picked up their schedule or know who their first period teacher is will report directly to their first period teacher. If your student does not know who their first period teacher is, we will ask all students to report to the gymnasium to receive their updated schedule. Schedules are available via StudentVue and ParentVue. If you do not know where a room is located, refer to the map below, or ask a staff member that is on duty to assist you.
3. Grab and go breakfast will be served outside beginning at 7:30 am. If you arrive on campus before the morning bell, you must socially distance in our outdoor common areas. 6th graders will stay on the southside of the building and 7th graders will stay on the north playground. There will be no huddling in groups and three feet social distancing will be enforced at all times.
4. Parent drop off/pick up: Parents who are providing transportation can drop off/pick up students on the south side of the building next to the cafeteria near Tansill Street. In order to best facilitate traffic, we ask you to please pull into the alley adjacent to our parking lot and have your student exit when you stop next to our gate at the cafeteria.
5. Lockers: Students who came to our open house already have lockers assigned. If your child did not come that day, we will assign lockers through their Social Studies class. They may want to bring a backpack as they may be carrying their supplies for a while before their locker is assigned to them.
6. Chromebooks: We will begin issuing Chromebooks on Thursday to 6th graders and on Friday to 7th graders. Students will go with there Language Arts classes to pick up a Chromebook.
7. We recommend that students bring a water bottle as drinking fountains are closed.
8. Meals on campus: Breakfast and lunch will be offered free of charge again this year. Students may opt to bring a sack lunch. Outside food deliveries will not be permitted. Outside drinks, such as Starbucks, Sonic, etc. will not be permitted and will be discarded.
9. If a student is sick: Students with any flu or cold-like symptoms must stay home. Because COVID symptoms can vary depending on the individual, we are asking that you screen your student each morning before sending them to school. If your child is experiencing any of the following symptoms, please keep them home and report symptoms to the school office. If your child is running a fever, experiencing shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, headache, muscle aches, chills, repeated shaking with chills, or loss of taste or smell, please keep your child home. If your child tests positive for COVID, please report it to the secretary.
10. We are celebrating the Grand Opening of Alta Vista as a middle school and would like to invite you to participate in our Grand Opening Event. We are asking parents and community members to come on Tuesday the 10th from 8:10 – 8:30. We will line up on either side of the main entrance, clap, and cheer as students enter the building to create some excitement about starting a new school year. Please be patient with traffic as we expect parking to be tight and may have to ask parents to park on adjacent streets and walk over.